From a heavy black cat eye to playing with crazy colors – eyeliner has universal appeal and as seen at the latest Oscar de la Renta show the statement eyeliner doesn’t go out of style. So best bet is to practice the perfect eye liner wing and you’ll soon be able to rock the darkest lash line. But is it really a good idea to apply eyeliner in the morning before biking to work? Especially in wet weather conditions chances are high you’ll look like you’re about to enter a halloween party! You have two options: Apply your eyeliner when arriving at work (then you can stop reading here) or keep reading further to find out more about the perfect eyeliner for cycling.
Ok, we agree eyeliner and cycling isn’t the best combo and unless you’re wearing goggles, there’s always a remaining risk for your precisely applied eye liner to get smudged.
Risk control: wear a rain cape with a large hood to protect your head and face to limit the risk for your eye liner to smear and for the rest of you to get wet! Then you’re already pretty well prepared!
We’ve picked 5 different eye liners, we’ve been using for a while now to test them for a week on our ride to work in wet weather conditions. And btw THANK GOD IT WAS RAINING ALL WEEK!
1) La Roche-Posay RESPECTISSIME Eyeliner Intense: Love the intense black color. It’s relatively easy to apply and when dried properly it barely smeares. Although when biking through rainy weather the color starts to come off quite easily and you have to reapply the product. Pro: At night the color is very easy to remove and doesn’t leave any traces. Very good for sensitive eyes.
2) MAC Eye Kohl: The eyeliner pen is super easy to blend because of its texture. But while it didn’t last all day, it also never looked bad. The color just slowly fades and transfers, but without smudging or flaking. Even cycling through quite heavy rain didn’t do anything bad to it. Though at night, it didn’t wash off so easily.
3) KIKO MILANO – Precision Eye Pencil: The color isn’t very intense but the very affordable Eye Pencil goes on smooth and doesn’t melt off – It really stayed on all day. Although the color faded a tiny bit during the day, it still looked great – after 16 hours at the office and biking to and home from work. Another plus: the price!
4) LIGNE GRAPHIQUE DE CHANEL: Really easy to apply and the deep black color lasts all day under normal conditions. But when biking, sweating and pedalling through the drizzle it came off right away and in fact the CHANEL eye liner didn’t last as long as the other ones we’ve tested.
5) Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eyeliner – ASPHYXIA: First of all, who needs an eyeliner that stays on 24/7? Besides the marketing efforts the creamy texture glides on smoothly and lasts very well. Though applying it to the inner rims was a bit tricky, since the texture didn’t quite want to stick to the area.